Wednesday 22 April 2015

Chicken Mania

We have to have chickens. How can we live in the country and not have chickens? Urban chickens may still be against the law in many Canadian Cities but we are in the country where chickens are supposed to live. We have always wanted chickens but haven't quite got round to it yet but this could be the year. Actually Suzanna wants chickens more than I do but please don't tell her that........





Plans are afoot. We are spending endless hours discussing where to put the hen house (palace). It's not easy.....there is very little flat ground in/on our yard ("Yard" is Canadian for garden and surrounds of the house. "Garden" is Canadian for a veg patch  This can get very confusing for little me, especially as a yard to me is a farm yard, a lumber yard or a builder's yard or three feet)

We finally took last year's recycling to the appropriate place and so freed up the trailer for a trip to the lumber yard and bought the timber for the chicken house, coop or hen house as I prefer to call it. Plans are not only afoot but they are also sort of down on paper as I follow in my Father's and my Grandfather's inspiring footsteps. They drew up plans for ships and houses and never anything as humble as a hen house but I am a late starter.








Suzanna has started construction and at the time of writing we have a upside down floor and legs in the garage and concrete blocks where it will go. Yes one of the concrete blocks is broken.....it bounced off the trailer on the gravel road and broke in bits. It was so heavy I thought it would be fine on the trailer but yes it bounced off! Luckily no-one was behind us.


We have already bought a rooster.
He is black and white with a bright red comb and feet and he is very beautiful and very quiet. That's the way we like our roosters. He is also a bit static..I cannot say wooden as he is metallic.  However he stands as a challenge to us to get the hen house and run done very soon so we can get some chickens.....

The names of the chickens will be Isobel, Harriet and Henrietta with a fourth one whose name eludes me just at the moment. They will be speckeldy and very winter hardy.

Please do say: "How is the Hen house coming on?"
Don't say:"Are you raising chickens for food?"




3 comments:

  1. That Rooster looks like the quiet type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amusing reading, Peggy! I see Sue is very handy in the woorwork department.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amusing reading, Peggy! I see Sue is very handy in the woorwork department.

    ReplyDelete